On my way home tonight, I heard yet another "Top Ten" list on the radio. It never fails that every year there must be 1000 "Best of" or Greatest of all time" lists to generate even more water cooler conversation. Well what the Hell....put down that J90 inventory report and get your squatty ass down to the Kentwwod bubbler and discuss.....
TOP 10 NOTABLE / INFAMOUS MOBILIANS OF ALL TIME!
1. Leon Raley...the foot shuffling, is he homeless or just a ZZ top fan, paper totting, wanna-be mayor of Mobile.
2. The blunt smoking, gun toting, over tanned, meet my lawyer over chips and salsa, Oh my back hurts give me a white sunshine 700 mg...Steve "The Hammer" Nodine.
3. Lamar Wilson "The Peanut Man"...nuff said! dedication...dedication...how the Hell did he survive for all those years on 50 cent bags of stale nuts?
4. The Bay Bears roach....The day he actually beat the kid to home plate and did a victory dance.....funny! The night me and the roach (not in costume) got tossed from a local dance club for throwing couch cushions into the crowd and "Flash-dancing" on chairs....Priceless!
5. Mike "The pimp of all pimps" Dow.....better known as...simply....THE MAYOR!
6. Joe Drews.....The man behind the legend......or just the #5's driver. Nothing like getting a police style escort from the civic center to Heroes sports bar while driving an illegal golf cart down city streets.
7. Fred "Hollywood" Barkley.....the legend of cougar hunting! The man pulls in some 85 year old millionaire action and is arrested this week on stealing a BBQ grill!! The man transcends normal life and is a living character from the next Jimmy Buffet novel.
8. THE SCOOTER PUMP...that's right....this space on our list is reserved not for the man but the one most identifiable sound across the radio waves.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The scooter pump will live forever in this town and should be the entrance chime for every gas Spur station, city complex building and the Mobile sports hall of fame. Just before I take my last breath.....I will give you guys one last Scooter Pump! WOOOOOO
9. Lee Shervanian....You free meal eating...candy sucking Armenian from way back....The man is not only the voice of Mobile sports, but part of the worst 30 minutes in radio history...."2 Chics and Lee"
10. PUCK the mascot.......A man among boys!
Fred "Moonpie" Richardson
Lillian "Loud-Mouth" Jackson
"He Gone" South Alabama baseball fan
The barber chair at the Garage
David Rasp of Heroes
Art Slack God Damnit
Sailor the bartender from the Garage
Kristie the DJ from the EXIT
Neil McCready....(add Don, Issac and the wheal of meat)......this one was so hard to not put as #1 for me.
ARGUE....ENJOY...and please tell me who I missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UNTIL NEXT TIME........IGNORE THE SMALL PIECE OF PICKLED PIGS FEET IN MY MUSTACHE.